Wednesday 25 January 2012

WoW forgot how much I like Shakshoka


  After losing about 6kg and two months of cheese, pita bread and occasional ready meals from Sainsburys, I thought maybe I should cook something! (Which, knowing how clumsy I was in the kitchen, was a horrifying idea. :O ) Anyway, I decided I could do it, I could use the stove and cook a very easy Libyan meal without sounding the fire alarm or ending up in the hospital with stomach pain. I just needed to think of an easy meal that I liked.

   One day while I was talking with Yazeed, a very dear friend of mine, Shakshoka came to my mind. Shakshoka is basically an egg curry. It is a very easy meal, with a great taste, especially if it is made with Gedeed ( Libyan version of dried meat ). So I asked Yazeed to ask his mother to teach me how to cook it which she did. I was so happy with it, finally a homemade meal, that I kept making it every day for about two months, until I got so fed up with it that I never cooked it again. Well, until yesterday! It has been about 3 years since the last time I made it, however eating it yesterday reminded me of how much I love it

Now the recipe,

Ingredients:
 3 tbsp Oil or Gedeed (Well, really just add as much as you like :) )
 1 Chopped onion
 2 Chopped tomatoes
 2 Eggs

 1 tbsp Tomato paste
 -  Salt
 -  Chile powder  
 -  Curry powder
 -  Cumin 
 -  Cinnamon
 -  Black pepper

Preparation method:
1.  Fry the onions on high heat for a bit with the Gedeed.
2.  Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and the rest of the spices ( the     spices use as much as you can bare ! ). Leave it cooking on a medium heat for a bit.
3.  Break the eggs over the mix and make sure that they are spaced and let it cook until the eggs are cooked. Serve with bread.

1 comment: